Why did Ukraine not become a successful state and not take its chance?
Because independence of Ukraine was just the result of the USSR collapse and the elites’ agreement, but not the result of a broad public compromise on common values and joint project of the state, a kind of the Compromise, which would be enshrined in the Constitution.
The Constitution is a fundamental document for each state and one of the most powerful manifestations of civil maturity of any nation.
However, the Ukrainian Constitution was established as the elites’ agreement, and therefore could not ensure the successful transformation of Ukraine into a modern democratic state. There were created the conditions neither for the provision of political stability and effective reforms nor for the consolidation of society.
The political elites have created the Constitution, above all, as a tool for division of powers, authority, and national wealth – the Soviet legacy. So they have created the conditions for a revolution and war of aggression, as well as a threat of independence.
The Constitution has never been a manifestation of joint civil will.
Society was excluded from the constitutional process and did not participate in it. Today, the situation is repeated – citizens have no opportunity to influence this process and express their opinion on the next constitutional changes. The Constitution remains in the political elites’ hands.
In the context of the war, oligarchic revenge, and further destabilization of the situation in the country, the only way to save Ukraine and ensure its development is to return the people’s sovereign right for power and the establishment of the new Constitution.
The new Constitution must become a real reflection of the citizens’ will and compromise of the various social groups’ attitudes, not just those ones of the political and business elites.
Society – its active participants – should take responsibility for creating the Constitution and reach a compromise on common values and principles of social coexistence and development.
We hope that today we still have a chance to stop and transform the public mood of hate, revenge, and revolution brewing into an honest public debate on common values, principles of our coexistence, and create the new Constitution by joint efforts with the help of the Constitutional Assembly and direct participation of citizens at the Referendum.
On 16th March 2016, the Civil Society Coalition “People’s Constitution” holds the Forum “New Social Contract” from 9.00 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.
Venue: Kyiv, the Ukrainian House (2 Khreshchatyk Street)
The Forum is aimed at:
1) Launching a nationwide dialogue intended to start the constitutional process.
2) Providing the representation of public and social groups in a social dialogue.
3) Identifying the key principles of the Social Dialogue and principles of the new Constitution, which reflect a broad social compromise.
4) Commencing the process of forming a common Vision for the Future of Ukraine and the Ukrainian State, as well as appealing to intellectuals and moral authorities to unite for the purpose of writing the terms of reference for a new social contract.
5) Creating an organizational model and structure of the dialogue as a tool for writing and adopting the new Constitution of Ukraine at the All-Ukrainian Referendum.
6) The overall result of this process should become the draft of the new Constitution, adopted at the Referendum after extensive discussion and created as a compromise of all the parties concerned, which will enable preserving the integrity and sovereignty of the country and providing impetus for Ukraine to turn into a powerful and modern state.
– 09.00 a.m. – Registration, coffee/tea;
– 10.00 a.m. – Opening the conference;
– 10.15 a.m. – 11.30 a.m. – Plenary meeting;
– 11.30 a.m. – 11.45 a.m. – Break, coffee/tea;
– 11.45 a.m. – 1.15 p.m. – Work in groups;
– 1.15 p.m. – 1.30 p.m. – Break, coffee/tea;
– 1.30 p.m. – 2.00 p.m. – Summing up;
– 2.00 p.m. – 3.00 p.m. – Informal communication, dinner.
The following questions are offered to the consideration of the Forum delegates and guests:
– Initiating a broad public dialogue on the content of the new social contract and the new Constitution of Ukraine, as well as ensuring the process inclusiveness;
– Making a plan of actions regarding the exclusive right of the people of Ukraine to determine and change the constitutional order, especially through the preparation and adoption of the new Constitution of Ukraine in a constituent manner;
– Organizing large-scale public lobbying the Draft Law №3781 “On the Procedure for Drafting the New Constitution of Ukraine”, prepared by the Civil Society Coalition “People’s Constitution”.
We suggest you consider possible participation of your organization in the Forum. In case of your interest, we kindly ask you to apply for membership in the Coalition.
The Civil Society Coalition “People’s Constitution”
The Forum Participants:
- The All-Ukrainian Civil Organization “Ukrainian Strategy”;
- The Global Network of Ukrainians “Global Ukrainians”;
- The Civil Organization “Ukrainian United Draft”;
- The Civil Organization “Constitutional Convention”;
- The Civil Movement “Ukraine Is Me”;
- The International Centre for Policy Studies;
- The Centre of Policy and Legal Reform.
We are not a commercial organization. We are the representatives of civil society, who have agreed to join hands for launching the constitutional process by creating a civil society coalition to prepare the draft law that should define the procedure for forming and status of the constituent body authorized to draft the new Constitution of Ukraine, as well as promoting the further adoption of the draft law in the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
If you like this initiative, please support us and make a contribution in any way from those listed below: